Friday, November 18, 2011

50 Things Every Young Lady Should Know by Kay West




My 11 year old daughter loves books that tell you how to do things, how to do things right and what is wrong ...she has several of the "Best of Everything" Series so I gave this book to her for her thoughts. After all this is a book for young ladies, and though I wish it were so...I'm no longer a young lady.

When asked for her review, my usually chatterbox child replied "I liked it!". Hmm...not exactly the review I was looking for...I asked for some elaboration. She said it teaches you all sorts of good things like she was never sure what side to put the forks on when laying the table for dinner, now she knows" Ok this is a good start, what else did she have to say? "I should say Please and Thank-you more often". This pleases me. The reiteration by this book of the values we've been trying to instill for so long are is a good reminder to my daughter without me having to nag for once. And I do believe I'm hearing more pleases and thank-you's.

I think "50 Things Every Young Lady Should Know" is a book every young lady should have. It's the kind of book that instills in the reader good values and manners but without preaching. It explains why we should do things and why we shouldn't, for example (I love this one),
" A lady wears sunscreen every day; otherwise she'll look like an old lady long before her time".

The book is written in a light manner but gets the point across. I think it will be a "go to" book for my daughter when she's unsure about how to do something and I think I'll be bookmarking a few pages for her to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment